Superhero Wreath DIY

It’s a bird…it’s a plane…it’s a…superhero wreath?

Okay, yes it’s the middle of summer, but I’m preparing for a mission trip that’s coming in a few weeks. That means it’s time to comb the internet (namely Pinterest) and find organization/decoration inspiration for my classroom.  I’m using a superhero theme and have found tons of ideas. What better way to kick off my decorating than to make a wreath? It’s the first thing visitors to my room will see.

First, a pic of my JoAnn haul. I found supplies for my wreath and then some for under $20.

photo 1 (15)

Now, on to the actual DIY portion. First, I took the foam wreath form and marked the sides where I wanted the top color to (approximately) begin and end:

photo 4 (8)

Next, I took the red and secured the end with a dot of hot glue.

photo 1 (16)

 

Then, I wrapped, wrapped, and wrapped some more. It is important to make sure the layers don’t overlap so it’s as smooth as possible. I wasn’t aiming for perfection, but still wanted it to be neat.

photo 2 (15)

photo 3 (13)

When the red was done, I added a small section of yellow. I secured the end again with glue right where the section of red ended, making sure the glue is on the backside of the wreath.

photo 4 (9)

photo 5 (6)

Once I was satisfied with the amount of yellow, I moved on to the blue:

photo 2 (16)

photo 3 (14)

And finished with the last section of yellow.

photo 4 (10)

On to the “Pow!” graphic. I used sheets of felt for this.

photo 1 (18)

I cut the yellow and white together so I could get the material closer to the size I wanted. I was aiming for an oval, but it came out egg-shaped. (You win some, you lose some.)

photo 2 (17)

Using the shapes found in my fabric as a guide, I cut the yellow and white felt freehand until I got the shape I wanted. Then, I cut out the red letters freehand:

photo 3 (15)

 

I thought the “W” was a little overpowering, so I cut it down a little, cut holes in the “P” and “o”, and added an exclamation mark.

photo 4 (11)

I hot glued the yellow shape to the white, placed the red letters on top, and glued in place as well. Then, I glued the whole assembled piece to the bottom right side of the yarn wreath.

photo 5 (8)

Almost done! I could have hung it using ribbon, but what better way to tie in the fabric I’m going to use inside than to include it on the wreath? I cut a strip of fabric:

photo 5 (7)

I folded it length-wise and sewed it into a tube. It literally took no more than two minutes. (It was time to put baby girl to bed, and I promised Hubby it would take no longer to sew this than it took for him to get her pajamas on. I was right.) I turned the tube inside out, placed it around the wreath and secured it with a safety pin until I can get it on my door to figure out exactly how long it needs to be.

photo (19)

That’s it! My superhero wreath, and my reminder that summer is speeding along! *insert sad violins here*

As always, I hope you enjoyed the post, and maybe even learned a new trick. If you liked what you read, please share, and be sure to check out my other DIY posts. Thanks for reading!

Advertisements